Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Scarf Diaries, Part 1

I don't usually make New Year resolutions, but this year I decided to try to wear each of my many lovely scarves at least once since my 6-month job was starting January 2. I love my scarves but tend to wear the same ones over and over, so this challenge gives me an opportunity to be more creative in planning my work outfits using things I already own. 


Here's a scarf from a street peddler in Venice, Italy when Mark, Ross, Malima and I vacationed there in October 2012. I had my eye on this one for a couple of days and just before we left for home  prices were marked down, 2 scarves for 15 Euros instead of 10 Euros each.  I loved its large floral design and the purple combined with shiny silver threads the very first time I saw it. Even though it was made in China, I'll always remember we bought it in Italy from a cart near our Venetian apartment.

Worn with gray cashmere cardigan from Nordstrom (10-15 years old) and plain black pants from Kohl's


Here's a jewel-tone faux pashmina I bought in A. C. Moore's in November 2014 for $4.99. I ran in there to buy some craft supplies and its paisley design caught my eye as I rushed past the display. Again, made in China of some unknown material but it is soft and drapes well.

Worn with black open cardigan from J. Jill ( bought for our Africa trip) and plain gray pants from Kohl's


This scarf came from a Diwali store in Paris, located on Rue Mouffetard in the Latin Quarter that I bought when Mark and I visited Dawn in July 2010. Diwali sells scarves of all sizes that are made in India. This one is very lightweight and silky with a paisley design.

I've tried taking selfies or having Mark photograph me, but it's much easier for me to take photos of my outfits on a hangar. Since I tend to change into comfy clothes as soon as I get home, I can quickly hang up my clothes and snap a photo with my phone.

Worn with boucle jacket from Coldwater Creek (possibly 5 years old), turquoise turtleneck from Chico's (same age as jacket), plain black pants from Kohl's, and necklace/earring set that was a gift from Lisa and family, Christmas 2014


A good example of why I don't like my selfies! The scarf is from a large African craft store next to the Victoria and Albert Waterfront in Cape Town, South Africa. They sold scarves that were printed in South Africa although the original plain scarves were imported from elsewhere (probably China).  The store had a special deal, 3 scarves for 600 Rand, the equivalent of $20 each--otherwise they were 300 Rand each. I found 2 scarves I wanted immediately but had such a hard time picking the third! This one was my first choice as I had seen a lovely South African woman wearing the exact design when we were eating at a restaurant in the mall near our hotel.  I liked it so much I even asked her where she bought it, and she was nice enough to tell me--although as a tourist I had no idea how to find the store. She even explained that it was printed in South Africa which made me want it more. And then here it was, far from the downtown business area where the girl had found hers! Unfortunately, as you can see from the color of the sweater, it didn't photograph well.

Worn with J. Crew cashmere V-neck boyfriend sweater and dark navy jeans for a dress-down day


This was the third scarf I bought for the 600 Rand deal.  I had such a hard time finding that last scarf and yet I have worn this one the most of the 3 I ended up buying!  Because it is so colorful, it goes with many different things.  The weave is pretty loose on this one so it ends up getting pulled threads which usually can be pulled back into the weave. It's very soft, surprisingly warm, and drapes well.

Worn with J. Crew cashmere V-neck boyfriend cardigan and plain black pants from Kohl's

Over the years I have accumulated a small collection of J. Crew cashmere sweaters. I try to buy them on sale and during Connecticut's annual tax-free week in August. I like the quality and there can be good deals, especially on some of the more colorful ones. I feel the styles are pretty classic so I can keep wearing them for years. I wash them by hand to cut down on dry cleaning expenses. To cut down on hand washing, I wear a machine washable layer under them, often an Italian microfiber top by Adea. These are pricey, but I wait for sales, and they hold up really well. Now I have one in white, one in off-white, and one in black. I buy them to fit closely so I wouldn't use them without something over them, but they are perfect for layering. That way I don't have to wash my sweaters every time I wear one, I just wash the underlayer!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are showing off the scarves! Can I suggest photos of a week of scarves laid out on a table or somesuch, just to show off the patterns a little more? :D

    ReplyDelete