Thursday, September 26, 2013

First Week of Autumn

Autumn began late Sunday evening and it is time for me to do some fall decorating.


Mums are 3/$15 at Big Y, our local supermarket--they are a good size and just coming into bloom, so I picked a yellow, a creamy white, and a rusty red to put with the faux pumpkins from Michael's. 


I just love the look of sunflowers in this old green earthenware pitcher.  The tablecloth has a pattern of colorful autumn leaves.

 
The cooler weather inspired me to make the Mushroom and Leek Lasagna recipe from Flour, Too by Joanne Chang, one of the cookbooks that Dawn got me for my birthday.  I served it to book group and Laurel kindly took this photo.  Everyone enjoyed it, and Mark said he likes the roasted tomatoes better than the tomato sauce that most lasagnas have.  While it wasn't difficult to make, it did have many steps and took several hours to prepare and assemble for baking.  Worth the effort!  I think I'll try one of the soup recipes next.
 
 

We brought Kita home on September 23, 2008--hard to believe she's been with us for 5 years now and will be turning 9 next month.  I sure love that little doggie!  Hmmm, I wore that same blouse yesterday...




2 comments:

  1. Mmm... that lasagna sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put the leftovers in the freezer for the next time you visit! :-)

    ReplyDelete