Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Surprises from Faraway Places

I wish I had a photo of the delicious fruit jelly candies that Dawn brought me from Paris, but I don't--I ate them! Dawn brought a variety of sardines for Mark.  Apparently sardines are a French staple--who knew?


Malima brought me a beautiful silk scarf from Italy.  I've worn it a lot already!  Great clear neutral colors that will go with tans or grays.


Malima also brought me a pair of earrings made by her cousin Molly who is a jewelry designer in San Francisco. To make these, she laser cut birch and layered it with fabric.  They're actually reversible--the other side is unstained birch which gives a shadow effect.  Can you tell she trained and worked as an architect before getting into jewelry?


Malima found this adorable handmade ornament at an Italian Christmas Fair.  It came with an explanation of the significance of the owl in Italian culture.  Malima is making good progress in learning Italian and was able to translate it for us.


Isn't it cute?

On a totally different subject, it is now 20 degrees at 11 am.  I just came in from walking Kita and have to admit that it feels cold out there.  At least it's sunny!

Keep warm today, wherever you are!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how cold it's gotten in the last day or so, after our pleasant walks at New Year's!

    ReplyDelete