Monday, March 19, 2012

Fashion Fun

Malima and Ross visited this weekend, and Malima brought along her copy of French Vogue's issue showcasing the new Spring/Summer fashion collections.


It's a gorgeous magazine chockful of photos showing the latest runway fashions--some very wearable, some very shocking, and some very beautiful.



I think the ones from Valentino were my favorites. It was fun to see how some designers had clothing that was similar across the collection, while others had a variety of designs or themes within a collection.


For example, Gucci had a very graphic 1920s flapper theme. The fabrics are lovely and I wish I could touch them!  Just look at this gold material:


One of the fun things for me was to see photos of the designers.  Most of the men who design those 5" stilettos for women wear sneakers! Yes, I realize these designers are run ragged right up to the end of their runway shows, but really--sneakers?  The kind that are a big no-no for American tourists in Europe...you know, really comfy Adidas or New Balance kind of sneakers. And in a lot of the photos you can see the models' toes hanging over the edges of their high-heeled sandals--ouch! One of the models had six toes, just like my Dziadzi, but she wasn't the only one with shoe problems.

Did you know that Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen (who designed Kate Middleton's famous wedding dress) looks like she could be my neighbor?  An ordinary woman. (Actually, she really looks like my neighbor Carol.) And Donna Karan? Ditto. Miuccia Prada? Ditto. I feel like I could sit down and have a cup of tea with any of them! Donatella Versace or Vivienne Westwood, not so much, but I respect that they have a unique vision that carries over into what they wear.


It was just wonderful to spend time with Malima and Ross this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment