Tuesday, October 11, 2011

eBook Education

My book group met last Thursday to discuss our recent selection, Elizabeth Street: A Novel Based on True Events, by Laurie Fabiano.  It was only available in electronic format and we realized we had learned something very important.  If a publisher chooses to forgo the expense of issuing a book in hardcover, then it probably has very limited appeal due to its subject, or it is poorly written.  Although the story of Italian immigrants in New York City in the early 1900s might have had potential with a different author, we've learned our lesson.

We decided to read The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson for next month.  That's the 2010 Man Booker Prize winner I reviewed here on October 3rd.  I guess I did a good job of talking it up!  I brought the book with me and read a couple of passages aloud too.  One of our members returned from Europe recently and saw at least a half-dozen people reading it on the plane.  That and the fact that it won such an important award clinched its selection.  I think this book will make for some very interesting discussion!

And now for something completely different:


 Ornamental cabbages look lovely in the Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment